Saturday, March 13, 2010

Waiting for spring with carrots

I like knitting and other wintery things, but I also like the warm weather. I like waking up and not having to step on cold tiles of the bathroom.

In the beginning of the month we had some carrots and I saw that one was sort of growing sprouts, so I saved the tops and put them in a bowl with some fish tank water. They are growing, and their small leaves are so cute! I'm really surprised how quickly they grow, and it's really nice having some greenery (for free!) in the kitchen.

Day 1 (3/3): Right out of the refrigerator, straight to the bowl
Ikumi's carrot day 1

Day 2: Leaves are already turning green, so I added another friend.
Day 3: Really fun watching them grow!
Day 4: Leaves are turning green, and new sprouts are coming out from inside the old ones (in layers) <-I should know this term, but oh well.
Day 5: Look at all the leaves! I'm surprised to see how different these leaves are. Are they different species of carrots?

Day 6: Trivia of the day: Carrots originate from Afghanistan. Who'd thunk it? Added another friend.

Day 7 (3/9): They are so much taller then the edges of the bowl now! There's a quiet one...hmmm is that one alive? Asher thinks not, but I'm giving it a few more days.

No comments: