Saturday, March 20, 2010

Spinning and reclaiming more yarn

I've been really good and the only 'yarn' I've bought this year was for the Mickey Sweater back in February. :) yay me! But there are ways one acquires yarn without 'buying' yarn. Take a look:

This is the fiber I bought from Mary Ann last October at Spin-In in Chapel Hill:

Ikumi wool spinning
I finally finished the singles:

And got really excited and Navajo-plied it:
Ta dah!

Fiber: Wool/Mohair Blend 4oz from Three Waters Farm

Wheel: OLD Louet 7.5 ratio

Style: worsted

Plied: Navajo

Final weight: Heavy fingering/sport ~270 yds


I'm so happy how this turned out! I love the colors, and I'm finally spinning in a way that the yarn isn't steel wool.



I was about to donate these cotton/acrylic blend hat & scarf set from Old Navy. Then I thought that I can maybe unravel it. So I did.

Ikumi recycle yarn
Surprisingly, the hat is knitted flat, then seamed using a thinner thread.
Ikumi recycle yarn 2
Snip snip.
Ikumi recycle yarn 3
...and pulled hard on the top gathered part until it came off: success!
Ikumi recycle yarn 4
Scarf: after taking the fringe off, it was easy to find the end.
Ikumi recycle yarn 5
All in all, I got about 500 yards of cotton/acrylic blend. Enough for a baby blanket?
Ikumi recycle yarn 6All in all, I added 750+ yards to my yarn collection. Yay!

No comments: