Saturday, March 27, 2010

Silk Hankie Disaster, Dude

Disaster, dude.

I was so happy with my silk hankie, I actually spun up all 11g of it in a day.

Ikumi spins silk hankieThen foolishly I andean-plied it.
To anyone thinking of plying silk hankie,
PLEASE DON'T DO THIS!!!!!
Ikumi spins silk hankie 2rest of it is kind of a blur of tangled over-twisted singles tangling in a tangly-mess. Did I mention tangled? I think I lost some sleep over this. Ridiculous.
Ikumi spins silk hankie 3In the end, I snipped both ends, made an Andean-ply again and then placed the finished ply on a straight knitting needle so the singles didn't get tangled as much.

Lesson of the day:
Silk is sticky.
Silk wants to be spun very fine.
Silk wants to mingle with other silk outside its twist.
Silk is sticky.
Silk is apex of luxury in hand and color.
Ikumi spins silk hankie 4
I think I want to knit a lampshade for this using Nancy Bush's Queen Silvia Motif from Knitted Lace of Estoia.

No comments: