Monday, May 3, 2010

Maryland Sheep & Wool 2010 Part I: Saturday

Yay it's Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival Weekend! This is my third year going, and decided to go both days (hey, why not). Saturday was the day I got to see Ammon and his family, and I also took along Asher. This was my first Saturday experience, so I didn't know what to expect.


Definitely didn't expect this:

What! 2 mile traffic jam?! We were stuck for good 30 minutes on SR32.

We finally got there, and first checked out some auction items.
This one was my favorite:

This year I also decided to enter some competitions.
I dropped off 2 skeins and 1 shawl for the skein and garment competition on Friday, and couldn't wait to see the results.
My sock yarn! First place! Best novice skein! I'm soooo excited!

My excited face.
My skein #2 got 4th place.



Then we could check out the festival in peace. Here are some silkworms.
Great music.
Funny sheep.
Sheep is one of those animals that you think you know what it looks like, then you realize that you don't. There are so many different breeds with different characteristics, that there is no "average sheep" image one can draw up.

I think this is Lincoln (correct me if I'm wrong)
Blue face Leicester
Teeny kitteh



Getting trimmed. The sheep must be very scared on the pedestal like that. They hold very still.


Working sheepdog demo. One of my favorites. I think the kiddies were getting too hot in the sun to enjoy it. Bummer. Maybe next time!

Blade shearing demo.



I didn't know that sheep didn't recognize each other once they are shorn. Apparently they look and smell different, so they fight to establish hierarchy within the flock. I find this really amusing. Dumb sheep.

And my favorite moment! I got to meet the inspiring, wonderful, talented, lovely Ms. Judith MacKenzie McCuin!
I was totally flabbergasted and forgot that she lives in Washington State. Duh! I hope I didn't offend her. But she was really nice about it, and signed my copy of the Intentional Spinner.

I was really good and only bought 4oz of polwarth and 6oz of Jacob. Lovely stuff. More Sunday.

No comments: