Saturday, May 8, 2010

Tabi socks

Long time ago, we dyed some sock yarn with tobacco. On Friday, I cast these off:




Pattern:: Shur'tugal by Alice Yu
Size:Large (72 sts) Mens 10 1/2
Yarn:Valley Yarn Franklin dyed in tobacco (find out how it was dyed here)
Yardage:360yds
Needle:US1 DPN
Mods:Modified the toes so it's tabi style. Tabi is written "foot bag" in Japanese. This I find amusing. Big toe is 28 sts around with 2 sts cast on using backwards loop. The other half is done much like a regular wedge toe. I decreased only on one side (2 sts) every other row until 20 sts remained on both sides, then decreased every row until 8 stitches total remain. Kitchner off. If I were to do this again, I'd make the toe a little bit more roomier. I gave it 0 ease, which probably wasn't the best idea.

***
Tabi has split toes so you can wear geta (sandal style shoes). Here's another take at taking advantage of the split toes:


No comments: