Monday, May 3, 2010

Maryland Sheep & Wool 2010 Part II: Sunday

Sunday I went alone. It was really nice to have company on Saturday, and it's also very nice to go alone so I don't feel like I'm boring my buddies to tears with hours of staring at wool.

I returned to the skein and garment competition, and took photos of great projects for inspiration.

Gorgeous aran sweater
Stunning Fair-Isle Cap
There's my shawl on the left. It looks so small!
The shawl is the only entry that didn't win a ribbon. Boo! Must knit better next time!
Best of show shawl. Sigh. Beautiful.
Best skein spun on a spindle
Handspun so incredibly fine
Stunning colors!
Very nice socks!


Then I strolled to the sheep to shawl competition. How fun. Now that I know a little bit about weaving, I know why they can put designs on their shawl even though they are spinning white fleece.

So this is how it works (in my limited weaving knowledge): One can choose to have the warp (the vertical) thread be dominant and the weft(horizontal) thread hide beneath the warp. It's called "warp-faced fabric" . That's how they can make the shawls work. That was a big mystery to me when I saw it for the first time.



I also succeeded in getting full attention of the alpacas. I love how they make little mumbling sounds! Cute! I like their padded feet too.
I always wonder what it's like to be surrounded by food.


Sunday was the blade-shearing competition. The ultimate winner (on the left) shore two sheep before the other two were still working on the first one. Pretty impressive.




Let me go!
Noooo don't shear my belly!
OK I'll let you shear my belly.



I find this strangely unsettling.
This sheep wouldn't stop bleating.

Hi little curious ewe! How are you buddy?

This one really wanted my attention.
but not this one.
That's not your food. Stop eating your friend's food.

More musicians. It was very nice and hot and sunny!

I find these puppets both fascinating and intriguing.
When I returned to the shearing competition, it was still going on, and there were lots of naked sheep.

This one is next in line.
Nice 'fro and bell bottoms.

Again another day full of fun things to do! I definitely bought more on Sunday, and will post my new addition in another post.

No comments: