Thursday, April 15, 2010

Selfless month recap

March was my self-designated "selfless month" where I thought to knit for others. I was doing great until this happened:
I was disillusioned. Fortunately, I had misread the pattern and didn't decrease properly before the ribbed part. I reknitted it and now it is a completed shawl:


While I was disillusioned, I made some blanket squares for ME.

From top left: leftover bits with sample yarns from online store; handspun merino and black; black (Domy Heather); hand-dyed blue (Valley Franklin) x 2.

There was also a warm spell that convinced me to start a cotton tank top:


Pattern:: Shapely Tank by Joan McGowan-Michael
Yarn:Cascade Fixation Solid; maroon & spray dyed effects Arizona Sunset
Needle:US6 circ
Mods:Lots. First of all my gauge is 6 sts/inch and pattern calls for 5 sts/inch. I also wanted about a -4" (negative 4") ease, so I cast on 84 sts. I did the short rows on the bottom on both sides, then joined them in the round to avoid seams. I'm alternating solid and variegated every 4 rows to avoid awkward pooling in unwanted places. For shaping I decreased and increased 6 sts over 24 rows and tried it on every so often to make sure it fits. For the chest I doubled the short-row rows to compensate for the gauge difference. It seems to be working just fine.

I was really happy with everything until the edging. Way too floppy. How disillusioning. I'm aging it right now. While doing that I casted on another cotton stripey something for myself.



Pattern:: Witterings by Anna Bell
Yarn:Classic Elite Yarn Provence in purple and light green
Needle:US2 circ and DPN
Mods:None so far. I got gauge, and other than my wrist popping from tiny gauge it is going pretty well.

No comments: