Friday, January 9, 2009

Happy New Month! --Post Christmas report--


I have been drawing turtles and knitting a little bit for Christmas for the past few months...  You can go see the turtle drawing in my site in the portfolio section under "Scientfic Illustration".  I did more, but I ran out of space on the portfolio.

Anyway, here are some of the Chrismas knitting I did:
Plain socks:  basic k3p1 ribbing for leg and foot, normal heel turn with slipped heel.  
For: Asher
Yarn: Jawoll Aktion by Lang
Needles: #1

I was supposed to be working on the armwarmers when I flew down to Georgia for my sister's graduation, but totally forgot the yarn (just had needles.  ouch)  So I ran into Knitty City (lovely) by the Museum of Natural History, and got these for the trip.  Good thing, because the flight was delayed for 2 hours.  


Orange Mystery Socks for SKA September "Sliding Leaves" by Jeannie Cartmel
For: Mom
Yarn: Crystal Palace Panda Silk 3004
Needles: 0!

The heel flap is interesting to work with.  Mine was a bit too tight when knit up.  It should be looser after the first wash.  

Ooof these took a really long time, since I started in, well, September.   Oh well, but again, I started freelance, set up my LLC, moved to NC then NY, illustrated at the museum for 10 weeks, moved back to NC and it was Christmas.  

Oh yeah, and the Yarn Harlot commented on these!  Yesh!!

----

and how can I forget this needle size 3 beast:



Dad's vest
Pattern: original
Yarn: Knitpicks Telemark, brass heather, maroon heather, and natural
Needles: 2 & 3 

He lost weight since I last measured.  Awesome!  but not awesome for the vest.  I had to resort  to some Norwegian steeking action: 

Ouch.  I'm glad mom has a decent sewing machine.  I wouldn't be able to do without it.  

Apparently this vest got critiqued by my grandmother.  She didn't like the way I casted on for ribbing (I did long tail cast on) and the way I bound off the ribbing (plain knitted bo).  awww Everything else passed though! Hoorah!  

I'll get some action shots from dad soon.  

-------

And this mosaic knitting goth-ness:


Pattern: Burtonesque by Jacqueline Landry
For: Sister
Yarn: Michigan Domy Heather by Old Mill Yarn
Needles: #4 & #7

Mods: I wanted a thinner garment than the DK version the pattern had written for, so I substituted fingering weight yarn and knitted in size large to get a small sized garment.  

I worked on these during my commute from Jersey to Upper West Side. 
I still need to get some action shots, since they had to be finished and wrapped very quickly. 




Phew!  Good thing I had everything finished and was ready to start knitting fresh for 2009!!






1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oooh! I love the black and white for your sister!! :D You're so talented! I wish I could knit like that!