Friday, February 19, 2010

Knitting Olympics Update: Week 1

Here's my second Ravelympics project. This time it's in the Mitten Moguls event and Nordic Colorwork event. Also this is my new obsession: colorwork knitting!




Pattern: 5. Damevott med vrangbord eller blondekant
Yarn: Domy Heather lava (110 yds) and Handspun Merino light blue (175 yds)
Needles: US0 DPN
Mods: used cuff from #6.


The lovely pattern comes from Rauma LVS-5, Selbusrikk booklet. The booklet has lovely mittens/gloves/hat/socks/scarf patterns for men, women, and children. The pattern I chose is called #5 Lady's mittens (exciting title) and called for fingering weight yarn and size US0 needles.

Recently I learned that my hands were extra small. It's funny considering most other parts of me are at least medium, or average. I didn't understand why my mittens always came out floppy, until I saw the light and measured my hands. What! No wonder I have so much issues playing bass guitar(besides lack of practice).

But I digress. I chose finer fingering weight yarn and knit in hopes that the one size offered in the booklet will shrink enough to fit my hands. I followed the pattern exactly (except for the cuff, which I switcharooed from #6 I think) The light blue yarn is my handspun I made from a small merino bump from Yarns Etc. The black yarn is Domy Heather, a shetland-esque yarn I got in MSWF.

My hands were sweating while I worked, so they are sure to be extra warm! Hooray!


---------------

I've been dancing around with the finished shawl for a few days now, and now my fingers were itching to do more colorwork and less of lace. I guess my lace knitting spurt has ended after I knit 5.5 shawls in the past 8 months. The links lead to ravelry pattern page.

Icarus shawl by Miriam Felton in Mistralee Alpaca


Aeolian shawl by Elizabeth Freeman in handdyed Knit Picks Palette


Swallowtail Shawl by Evelyn Clark in Regia Silk


Wisp by Cheryl Niamath in overdyed Mohair in Motion


Shetland Garden Faroese Shawl by Sivia Harding in Plymouth Alpaca

No comments: